Thursday, April 14, 2011

Democratic Quip: Gas Prices

Click to listen: Democratic quip.

Do ya THINK they might build some new refineries for gasoline while they're at it? Aren't the few existing ones all like, what, thirty years old or something? How is THAT for safety, I wonder? Or for capacity? Have they even done any UPGRADES at the existing ones to modify them or increase capacity? I mean, our demand for gasoline hasn't stagnated for thirty years,  so why should our refining capacity be stagnant unless they WANT to choke the supply to inflate fuel prices?

I understand that higher fuel prices help decrease our oil imports, and force people to drive less. I know that using less fossil fuel is great for the environment and that we have problems with climate change. Still, the middle and lower classes have been taking a blood bath on inflation against stagnant wages and are forced to do way too much commuting due to businesses locating in the inner city and housing prices being too high for many middle-income workers to liver near where they work.

The way to approach the fuel problem would be to really go gangbusters on alternative fuels and efficiency research, and mass transport.

While you're at it, car companies specifically, could you ever consider making highly fuel-efficient smaller vehicles that are a little higher off the ground and with leg and head room for a 6'6" guy like me? I tried sitting in a Honda Fit once - and I didn't fit. I tried 22 small SUV's at the 2004 Chicago auto show, and I only fit in two of them. One was the Scion XB, I believe, and it wasn't due to be available in our area for another six months at the time. So far, I've been kind of stuck running Dodge Dakotas (club cab) with two-wheel drive and a V6, which are rated at 16 city & 26 highway. It's the only vehicle I've found where I can actually fully extend my legs if the seat is all the way back and tilted almost all the way back.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Dakota - it's a great vehicle that's comfortable and has good performance with reasonable fuel efficiency for a straight gasoline vehicle. If I had the money to convert the Dakota to a hybrid, I'd look no further. However, that's not an option for me financially, and I'm certain there are a few million other guys (and maybe gals) who are in my size range that are in the same predicament. Cars are too low to the ground when you're this tall. I've actually broken the seat loose from the floor mounts on a 1995 Buick Regal I used to have climbing down into it. I had to have it re-welded to fix it. To get a sense of how uncomfortable the situation is, try putting wooden blocks on the bottom of your shoes big enough to make you 6'6", then spend a couple of weeks with them on 24/7. 

All the best,

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment