Sunday, April 17, 2011

York PC 112: The Cab Hazard In Chicago...

...was on my mind yesterday morning as I snapped this photo.

I've worked most every day in the Loop sibce December of 1997. On the corner where my building is located, I've seen thirteen accidents occur. Nine of those accidents involved cabs. (The accident in the picture was the next block East, so I'm not counting it, or there would be ten out of fourteen.)

Often, when I look at the cars stopped at a Chicago red light, the cabs outnumber the private-party vehicles.

I've had cabs pull over in front of me without using turn signals to drop off or pick up fares, in morning rush hour traffic. They're hanging half out in the street invariably when they do that, halting traffic under the El tracks.

Cabs also sit long when they're in front of you and the light turns green. I don't know if they're trying to save gas by letting the car break inertia at idle, or scanning the intersection for fares.

I've had numerous occasions where cabs have swerved suddenly across two or three lanes of traffic to stop suddenly to pick up a fare.

In short, their common disregard for traffic laws, safety, and courtesy is a hazard. It also provokes other drivers into similar behavior.

Something must be done.

All the best,

Dan



No comments:

Post a Comment