Sunday, April 10, 2011

York PC 112: RIDING My Precinct...

Reason Of The Day To Be a Precinct Committeeman (ROTD2BPC): It gives you a great reason to get your bicycle out of the garage or basement on sunny 75-degree + (or even 55+) day and ride it.

It was BEAUTIFUL out today, and my wife and I got our bikes out for the first time in quite awhile.

Part of that ride was in the Northern section of my precinct, and it made me realize how much better it would be to go around the precinct by bicycle than just walking.

I think I'm really going to enjoy this. I have an old 1975 Schwinn Continental steel-frame 10-speed. It looks a little beat-up because of the scuffed-up original paint job, but it's actually in good riding condition. Because of the steel frame, I can get one of those old-school generator light sets for it. (Aluminum frames don't give a good enough ground, and the system will burn out.)

People think that steel frames are heavy, but at the time, the Continental was a very light and agile bike.

Another plus for me is the over-sized frame. Schwinn made some of their 10-speeds with a 28-inch frame instead of the standard 26-inches, in order to accommodate taller riders. At 6' 6", I really appreciate that.

Don't be surprised to see me out there in the precinct on an old BLUE Schwinn wearing a head band and water bottle, saying hello to the voters.

All the best,

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment